Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day 12, Marmatton Museum

This day started with a short walk up to the Funiculaire below the Sacre Coeur and a then jaunt through La Rue du Abessess to Starbucks across from La Moulin Rouge. Call me silly or crazy, but I am getting tired of eating freshly made flakey delicious pastries every morning.  Must be self-preservation.  But I still need my coffee.  A quick coffee and yogurt pick-me-up while planning my Metro strategy for the day is a great way to start.  Figuring out Metro routes is sometimes tricky. So far, anywhere I want to go has been no more than two metro lines (one transfer) away. But  it takes some study to figure out which stop to get off to make the right transfer to my destination.


Today's plan was to find the Marmatton Museum on the far west side of town. Off the beaten track, but in  a delightful area with a grand park along the way. Children playing,  ponies to ride, (real ones) picnickers and people enjoying the bit of sunshine.  Since Parisiens live in tiny apartments surrounded by stone and concrete, the many parks are appreciated, or so it seems.  (They do not confide in me much, well maybe never)





What inspired me to visit the Marmatton, besides a recommendation from my sister, was my visit yesterday to Giverny.  I wanted to see more original Monets and knew this place had a large collection.
(Blogger note:  this post ends abruptly because of my usual Ipad issues, so I will be fixing that when I get home.  It only lets me add things earlier in the post, once I've added the pictures... so,  the pictures I've used here are from the Marmatton Museum website, since photography is not allowed in the Museum.)


A special exhibit of the work of French painter Marie Laurencin took up the entire bottom floor. I had never heard of her, but learned she is quite famous, from the first half of the 20th century.

This piece is representative of her work, entitled Le Baisir. (The Kiss).




                   This piece of above of Monet's is called Impression: Le Soleil Levant. (Sun Rising


Monet's "Le train dans la neige". (the train in the snow)


There were also many paintings by Berthe Morisot.  I was not familiar with her 
but really enjoyed her style.  The one above is called Le Bois du Boulogne and the next one is my favorite,   Eugene  Manet et sa fille.  


Gaughin's Bouquet de Fleurs  

     

Alfred Sisley 
Printemps aux Environs de Paris  

Oh, solovely!

1 comment:

  1. love the sun rising, the fleurs, and well, all of these pix...
    . It will be great to have you dabbling in the oils upon your return. You will, won't you? (both return and dabble)....

    ReplyDelete